Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Building an IRC client in HTML5 with native sockets

We're half way into 2013, and it's about time for me to test the state of HTML5 and Javascript in a real world application again (something I try to do regularly) and maybe even push some of my own limits while I'm at it.

To see how far I can get, I've decided to build an IRC client and will try to document my progress, challenges and findings here.

Some starting decisions:
  • I'd like it to run in my favorite browser (Chrome), On the desktop, on Android and iOS if at all possible.
  • I do not want to use websockets and a server to proxy socket traffic to websockets or socket.io. Since it's 2013 I'm going to try to use direct TCP socket API's where available to talk directly to an IRC server, or even write my own implementation where needed.
  • I want to use plain HTML5 and JS, No over-the-top UI frameworks or custom html tags and widgets.
  • If this runs on a tablet/phone, I want to package it to that platform's native format (e.g. .apk / .ipa ) and be able to deploy it into their respective appstores.

Since this is a private project, I can choose my own frameworks, and the frameworks of choice are:
Next stop: Platform research and demo's.

No comments: